帖子

84万

积分

论坛元老

积分
发表于 2018-12-25 22:20:33 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
小学英语双语故事赏析:半途而废
          半途而废

During the Warring States Period (475-221BC), there was a man called Yue Yangzi in State Wei.

战国时期,魏国有个叫乐羊子的人。

Yue Yangzi felt that he should go out and visit scholars to enrich his knowledge. So he set off.

乐羊子离开家到了一个很远的地方,去拜师求学。

A year later, he came back home suddenly. “Why have you returned?” asked his wife in surprise, “You‘ve only spent one year studying with scholars.”

一年后,乐羊子突然回到家中,他的妻子很惊讶地问:“你怎么回来了?你才和那些学者学了一年呀。”

“I come back because I missed you very much.”

乐羊子说:“我太想你了,所以回来看看。”

Without saying anything, his wife took a pair of scissors and went to the loom at which she had worked.

他的妻子听了以后,二话不说,拿起把剪刀走到她的织布机前。

Pointing at the half done brocade, she proclaimed : “This brocade is woven from the finest silk.I wove one strand after another to produce the brocade. Now if I cut it, all my previous work will be wasted. It’s the same with your studies. You can acquire knowledge only through diligence. Now, you‘ve given up halfway. Isn’t it the same as cutting the brocade on the loom?”

她指着那块已经完成了一半的锦缎说:“这块锦缎用的是最好的丝。我一丝丝的累积来织成这锦缎。如果我现在把它剪断,就等于前功尽弃。你求学也是这样。如果现在停止,和剪断织布机上的锦缎有什么区别?”

Yue Yangzi was moved by what she said. He again left home to visit scholars. Several years later he became a knowledgable man.

乐羊子被妻子的话所感动,于是立刻离开家,继续拜师求学。几年后,乐羊子终于完成学业,成为一个博学的人。

【文化链接】

英文中“半途而废 ”可以用“give up halfway”来表达,意思就是“ 中途放弃”。

我们一起来看几个例句:

How to not give up halfway to reaching my goal?

如何才能不半途而废,来达到我的最终目标呢?

I hope you are mentally prepared to overcome hardships because I‘ve seen too many adventurers give up halfway.

我希望你能做好心理准备去克服困难,因为我见过太多半途而废的冒险家。

If we choose to give up halfway, we are doomed to be losers.

如果我们半途而废,我们将注定是失败者。
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 立即注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|新都网 ( 京ICP备09058993号 )

GMT+8, 2024-3-29 20:30 , Processed in 0.077436 second(s), 13 queries , WinCache On.